Looking for a completely original winning recipe? Try the Steak with Red Wine Reduction Sauce. While a student in the Culinary Apprenticeship Certificate program, Kenneth Holland created this recipe as part of the semi-annual Mystery Basket challenge. He had 90 minutes from the start to finish to come up with the recipe based on his surprise ingredients, prepare it and present it in this show-stopping combination.
Our chef instructor, Rich Bradshaw, recommends the dish for its fine balance of flavor. With the side included, this recipe makes for an impressive complete meal. Try it out and let us know what you think.
Steak with Red Wine Reduction Sauce and Maple and Wine Glazed Vegetables
- 2 New York Strip steaks
- 1-2 carrots, chopped
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3-4 each white and baby bella mushrooms
- 1 shallot
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2 ounces soy sauce
- 5 ounces red wine
- 2 cups Marsala wine (sherry or even Madeira can be used)
- 7 ounces maple syrup
- 4 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons thyme, finely chopped
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
1. For the vegetables, combine carrot, potatoes and celery. Season with thyme, salt and pepper. Saute in pan with 3 ounces butter for approximately 10-15 minutes. Finish in oven for 20 minutes.
2. Place steaks in bowl or plate season with light dusting of onion and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Grill for 2-4 minutes, turn to develop cross hatch marks, and grill an additional 2-4 minutes. Repeat for reverse side.
4. Place steaks in a large pan. Add soy sauce and 2-4 ounces of red wine.
5. Place pan in a 350 degree oven for approximately 15-20 minutes. Using a probe thermometer, check the internal temperature and remove steak from oven at least 5-8 degrees below desired target doneness. Allow steak to remain in the pan and cover. Rest steak for 5 minutes before slicing.
6. For the maple and wine glaze, in a shallow pan, add wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low boil until the wine is near syrup consistency. Then add the maple syrup and allow mixture to begin to boil. Turn heat down to simmer and reduce again to syrup consistency.
7. For the red wine demi-glace reduction, slice shallots thinly and then chop finely. Chop garlic and mushrooms.
8. In a hot pan, saute shallots in 1 ounce of butter for 2 minutes, then add garlic and cook.
9. Deglaze pan with 2 ounces red wine and add mushrooms. Cook an additional 4-6 minutes.
10. Add approximately 4 ounces of demi-glace to pan and allow ingredients to reduce slightly.
11. For plating, cut each steak at a 45 degree angle and slice. Spoon red wine demi-glace over steak. Add vegetables and drizzle with maple reduction. Drip additional red wine sauce around outside edges of the plate. Top with chopped thyme.