Each year, many of our KSU alumni begin their journey back into education. Whether it’s to land a promotion with their current employer, change jobs or launch a new career, we provide the options and resources to achieve it. Our alums have demonstrated that learning doesn’t, and shouldn’t, stop in adulthood.
They Did It
Several alums have discovered the true value of a professional certificate. Derek Brott was interested in launching his own social media consulting and web design business. He strengthened his position by enrolling in our Social Media Marketing Certificate program. He has since started his own company which he refers to as his “side hustle.” Derek’s full-time job is in the events industry. He returned to CCPE to earn his Event Planning and Management Certificate and, as a result, received a job promotion.
Shortly after earning her Executive MBA, Natalia Higgins enrolled in Payroll Fundamentals, the first course in our Payroll Certificate program. She went on to take and pass the Fundamental Payroll Certification exam, a national credential administered by the American Payroll Association. As a result, Natalia has earned regional and national awards for her determination and dedication to her career field and lifelong learning. “My career is successful because of my education,” she said. And she’s still learning, too. Natalia completed the Human Resources Management SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP Certificate last year and is now studying for the certification exam.
Karen Perkins was planning to pursue nursing school when her aunt, who is a nurse, said that taking a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) course was the best thing she did for her career. That motivation inspired Karen to enroll in our CNA program.
“This was more to get my foot in the medical field, to just like get a taste of what it’s really like and not what I think it’s like,” Karen said. “I’ve fallen in love with it and I definitely want to become a nurse. I will probably work as a tech in a hospital or a CNA at a nursing home until I become an RN.”
As an undergraduate at KSU, Michael Malone simultaneously enrolled in our Paralegal Certificate program. He plans to enter law school and wanted to better prepare himself for it. “I just want to add another notch to my résumé,” he said. “I figured this would help me out, give me that knowledge before I take the next step. I was always interested in the law. As an undergrad, this program was a perfect fit.”
Top 8 Benefits of Adult Learning
- Career – Learning new skills opens up new opportunities and empowers us to achieve our aspirations and career goals.
- Personal Development – Never stop learning and growing as a person.
- Professional Development – Ensure yourself the ability to compete favorably in college or the workplace.
- Confidence – Fuel self-esteem and allow yourself to gain a sense of pride from your achievements.
- Decision Making – Returning to learning can allow you to make more informed decisions about your life, career and take control of your future.
- Happiness – Using your motivated skills makes you happier and learning new skills boosts dopamine.
- Health – The exercise of learning contributes to longevity and good health later in life.
- Wisdom – Acquiring knowledge allows you to share it with others.
Don’t forget, as a KSU alum, you qualify for an exclusive 10% discount on class enrollment. This offer is valid for KSU and SPSU alums and is good for any classroom-based program (maximum discount of $500 per class).