Writing for Children – Online
Join a published children’s author and discover how you can touch the hearts of children by creating books for them. If you’re a beginning writer, this course will help you transform a book idea into a finished product that you’ll be proud to place into the hands of potential publisher. And if you’re already a successful writer, this course will help you explore new opportunities and markets for your work.
In this highly interactive, hands-on course, you’ll take pen to paper and begin work on your very first fiction or nonfiction manuscript. In the process, you’ll explore the changing world of children’s literature and understand the various formats–from baby’s first books to novels for young adults. You’ll get insights from guest authors and editors to gain a better understanding of the needs of today’s market. By researching the genre and recognizing niche players, you’ll open doors of opportunity, many of which you may not have previously considered. By the time you finish this course, you’ll have all the tools and resources you’ll need to continue to grow as a writer for children.
- Discover the world of children’s picture books, where text and illustrations tell the whole story.
- Become familiar with books written specifically for emergent readers and those ready for first chapter books, and discover resources to help you with age-appropriate words and book lengths.
- Grow in your knowledge of middle grade and young adult literature and the potential markets in each for writers.
- Polish your manuscript with tips and techniques from editors and colleagues.
- Improve your odds of becoming published by better understanding the general marketplace, the submission process, and the specific needs of publishers.
- Learn how to continue to grow as a children’s writer and how to develop skills that will open the publishing doors.
“I really enjoyed participating in this class and feel more confident about approaching a career in writing books for children. The recommendations and resources we’re very helpful and I’m sure will be invaluable to me.”
– T. Boehle, Marietta, GA
This course is part of the Advanced Creative Writing Certificate.
For our online course refund policy, click here.
Requirements: Internet access, e-mail, Firefox or Internet Explorer web browser, Microsoft Word or other word processing software, and access to a library or bookstore that stocks children’s books.
You will need to create a login for your online classroom. Go to www.ed2go.com/ksuconed. Find your course by browsing the catalog or using the search bar. Click the ‘Add to Cart’ button. Select your start date and then create a Username and Password. You must make an 80 or higher on the final exam (online) to successfully complete the course. You may only take the exam once.
If you have questions about this course, please contact the online coordinator at 470-578-6693 or email@example.com.
- Start Date 02/10/2021
- End Date 04/02/2021
- Delivery Online
- Total Hours 24
- Class Sessions 12
- CEUs 2.4
- Fee $149
No extra information available at this moment.