Just 20 years ago, we didn’t see students with autism in our classrooms. But today, we teach children with high-functioning autism and Asperger’s Syndrome right alongside their neurotypical peers. Reaching and teaching these students requires a delicate balancing act: understanding how their brains are wired, helping them turn challenges into opportunities, and learning to enjoy the rich perspective they bring to the classroom.
- Meet your students with autism, and discover how they’ll change your room.
- Understand your students and their characteristics.
- Learn the three ways that students with HFA/AS think.
- Encourage social skill development that works inside the classroom and out.
- Help students build language reciprocity and have meaningful conversations.
- Understand sensory sensitivities, and help students build on them.
- Challenge students to embrace their interests and extend them into learning activities.
- Get students to do their homework by making it more interesting.
- Counter emotional crises and meltdowns with calming strategies.
- Direct students toward positive alternatives for violent fixations.
- Encourage students to pay attention.
- Prepare students for life beyond your classroom, with its social, educational, and intellectual challenges.
For our online course refund policy, click here.
Requirements: Internet access, e-mail, Firefox or Internet Explorer web browser.
You must make an 80 or higher on the final exam (online) to successfully complete the course. You may only take the exam once.
#1: Teaching Students With Autism - Online (Self Paced)
Financial Aid Options
- No options available at this moment.
- Click here for more information about Financial Aid
More Info / Contact Us
If you would like to receive more information about this program or speak with the program lead, submit your information below:
Teaching Students with Learning Disabilities – Online (Self Paced)
Teaching Writing – Grades K-3 – Online (Self Paced)
Spanish in the Classroom – Online (Self Paced)
Teaching Students with ADHD – Online (Self Paced)
FAFL- Forensic Medicine for Educators
Social Sciences Building
Creative Classroom – Online