Introduction to Screenwriting – Online
Whether you want to write micro-budget indie films or Hollywood blockbusters, this course will teach you everything you need to know to create a script that can sell. You’ll start with the fundamentals of stories—why audiences need them, what they expect from them, and what kinds of stories work time after time. Then you’ll learn how to write your own. See how to come up with an idea, how to develop that tiny spark into a story, and finally how to structure it into a screenplay. You will also learn how to create characters audiences will believe and how to write dialogue that will bring them to life. Discover the secrets of constructing scenes that audiences won’t be able to stop watching and how to make every moment of your screenplay count.
Along the way, you’ll get hands-on experience through a series of short writing assignments that will have you working like a pro from the very beginning of the course. Finally, you’ll get an inside look into the business of selling your script and building your career as a writer. Learn about agents and producers, contests and consultants, studios and scam artists. When you finish the course, you’ll be ready to start writing your own script, and you’ll know how to sell it once it’s done!
- Understand where stories come from and how they work, and learn how to apply that knowledge to your own stories.
- Understand the nature of conflict and recognize it as the heart of every story we tell.
- Understand that characters are the embodiment of conflicts, and then learn how to create compelling characters for your own stories.
- Understand the fundamental simplicity of the three-act structure, and then learn how to use it to build your own stories.
- Understand what brings a scene to life, and learn how to turn beats from your outline into vivid, exciting drama.
- Understand how movie dialogue works, see how it’s different from theatrical dialogue, and find out how to use it to create and explore character.
For our online course refund policy, click here.
Requirements: Internet access, e-mail, Firefox or Internet Explorer web browser, and the Adobe Flash and PDF plug-ins (two free and simple downloads you obtain at www.adobe.com/downloads by clicking Get Adobe Flash Player and Get Adobe Reader).
You will need to create a login for your online classroom. Go to www.ed2go.com/ksuconed. Find your course by browsing the catalog or using the search bar. Click the ‘Add to Cart’ button. Select your start date and then create a Username and Password. You must make an 80 or higher on the final exam (online) to successfully complete the course. You may only take the exam once.
If you have questions about this course, please contact the online coordinator at 470-578-6693 or email@example.com.
Financial Aid Options
- No options available at this moment.
- Start Date 06/17/2020
- End Date 08/07/2020
- Delivery Online
- Total Hours 24
- Class Sessions 12
- CEUs 2.4
- Fee $159
No extra information available at this moment.