Medical Billing and Coding Certificate – Online
Includes ICD-10 instruction.
The Medical Billing and Coding program will give you the skills you need to be competitive in the healthcare market, as well as the credentials through certification to prove your qualifications. Learn key skills such as abstracting from medical records, assigning codes to diagnoses and procedures using the ICD-9-CM, ICD-10-CM, CPT and HCPCS Level II code books, developing insurance claims according to third-party guidelines, and understanding the legal, ethical, and regulatory concepts that are vital to this field. In Medical Terminology, you will learn important terminology and study the disorders and medical procedures common to each body system.
Prerequisite: Students should be proficient in keyboarding, have a basic understanding of a word-processing computer program (Microsoft Word is recommended), and have a command of English grammar and punctuation. While no healthcare work experience is required, it is recommended that students have knowledge of anatomy and physiology. Students must have a high school diploma or equivalent in order to sit for national certification exams.
- Adhere to legal concepts, such as advance directive, living will, power of attorney, and guardianship
- Explain the HIPAA Privacy Rule
- Safeguard and disclose protected health information (PHI)
- Recognize the implications of health insurance fraud and abuse
- Discover the five models of managed care organizations
- Assign accurate codes from the ICD-9-CM, CPT, and HCPCS Level II coding manuals
- Assign accurate codes from the ICD-10-CM Official Draft Code Set
- Develop an insurance claim
- Use the electronic data interchange (EDI)
- Recognize health insurances delivered by private companies and government-sponsored programs
Upon successful completion of the Medical Billing and Coding course, students will be prepared for an entry-level position doing medical billing or coding in a medical office setting and will be prepared to sit for the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Certified Billing and Coding Specialist (CBCS) certification exam once all other exam eligibility requirements have been met. The registration fee for this exam is included with this program. This course includes study guide materials, access to practice exams, and the registration fees for the CBCS exam. Students must schedule their certification exam and select a testing location directly through NHA. Note: KSU serves as a testing location for the Medical Billing and Coding Specialist classroom-based certificate program only. Eligibility requirements can be found on the NHA website at www.nhanow.com. This course will also help students prepare for the Certified Professional Coder (CPC) exam offered by the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC). In addition, students will be trained on Pharmacology and In-Patient Coding, which gives students the training required to successfully pass the Certified Coding Associate (CCA) exam offered by AHIMA. There is not currently an AHIMA voucher option for students, but they will be fully prepared to pursue the AHIMA certification on their own.
- A Guide to Health Insurance Billing
- CPT Standard Edition
- HCPCS Level II
- ICD-10-CM Professional for Physicians
- Merriam-Webster’s Medical Desk Dictionary
- Medical Terminology for Health Professions
- Access to the NHA online practice exams and study guide to help you study for the certification exam
For our online course refund policy, click here.
Requirements: You will need a computer with Internet connection and email, and MS Word or Wordperfect software.
You will receive a password and log-in information via email within 3-5 business days of registering for this course. Course materials are included and will be mailed to you within 10 business days. You have 12 months to complete this course. You must make an 70 or higher as your final grade to successfully complete the course and receive a certificate of completion. There are no refunds for this course.
If you have questions about this course, please contact the online coordinator at 470-578-6693 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Financial Aid Options
- Education Loans
- Delivery Online
- Total Hours 340
- Class Sessions 0
- CEUs 34
- Fee $2,195
No extra information available at this moment.