Medical transcription is a vital part of the patient care process. Professionals in this role are making a difference to the patients who depend on accurate medical documentation of their diagnosis and care, and to employers who depend on highly qualified and reliable specialists to complete their work in a precise and timely manner. Medical transcriptionists, sometimes referred to as healthcare documentation specialists, create reports and other administrative documents from dictated audio recordings from physicians and other healthcare providers.
In the Certified Medical Transcriptionist course, you will develop skills using online simulations and learn about speech recognition software and its impact on the medical transcription industry. This course will also prepare you to take the Registered Healthcare Documentation Specialist (RHDS) exam. The exam fee is included in the course.
You will also learn how to edit information for grammatical errors and ensure the correct, proper usage of medical terms in a patient’s records. You learn the importance of maintaining confidentiality in accordance with HIPAA and reporting accuracy in accordance with the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI). You will also receive in-depth training on medical terminology relating to anatomy, physiology, disease processes, pharmacology, laboratory medicine, and the internal organization of medical reports.
- Describe the importance of the confidential nature of medical reports.
- Transcribe medical reports using correct report format and correct capitalization, punctuation, abbreviations, symbols, and metric measurements.
- Practice transcribing real medical reports that include medical procedures and treatments; consultations; operative, pharmacology, and radiology reports; and death and discharge summaries.
- Correctly spell the English and medical terms in addition to the abbreviations, either by memory or by using a dictionary or reference book.
- Develop your listening, attention to detail and time management skills, which are strong qualities that employers are looking for from candidates.
For our online course refund policy, click here.
Prerequisites: When enrolling in this course, please take the Medical Terminology as the first section, prior to taking Medical Transcription.
Requirements: You will need a computer with Internet access, email, web browser (Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Chrome, Safari or Firefox), Adobe Acrobat Reader, Adobe Flash Player, and MS Word (2013 or higher). This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
Materials: Course materials and equipment are included in the course price and will be mailed to you within 10 business days.
Hillcrest Medical Center: Healthcare Documentation & Medical Transcription, 8th Edition
The Dictated Word
Grammar and Punctuation Guide
Stedman’s Medical Dictionary, 28th Edition
AltoEdge USB foot pedal and Transcriber Headphones
You will receive a password and log-in information via email within 3-5 business days of registering for this course.
You have 180 days to complete this course. You must make an 70 or higher as your final grade to successfully complete the course and receive a certificate of completion.
There are no refunds for this course.
If you have questions about this course, please contact the online coordinator at 470-578-6693 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
#1: Medical Transcription Certificate - Online
Financial Aid Options
- Education Loans
- Click here for more information about Financial Aid
More Info / Contact Us
If you would like to receive more information about this program or speak with the program lead, submit your information below: