Teaching Students With Autism – Online (Self Paced)
Just 20 years ago, we didn’t see students with autism in our classrooms. But today, we teach children with high-functioning autism and Asperger’s Syndrome right alongside their neurotypical peers. Reaching and teaching these students requires a delicate balancing act: understanding how their brains are wired, helping them turn challenges into opportunities, and learning to enjoy the rich perspective they bring to the classroom.
- Meet your students with autism, and discover how they’ll change your room.
- Understand your students and their characteristics.
- Learn the three ways that students with HFA/AS think.
- Encourage social skill development that works inside the classroom and out.
- Help students build language reciprocity and have meaningful conversations.
- Understand sensory sensitivities, and help students build on them.
- Challenge students to embrace their interests and extend them into learning activities.
- Get students to do their homework by making it more interesting.
- Counter emotional crises and meltdowns with calming strategies.
- Direct students toward positive alternatives for violent fixations.
- Encourage students to pay attention.
- Prepare students for life beyond your classroom, with its social, educational, and intellectual challenges.
For our online course refund policy, click here.
Requirements: Internet access, e-mail, Firefox or Internet Explorer web browser.
You will need to create a login for your online classroom. Go to www.ed2go.com/ksuconed. Find your course by browsing the catalog or using the search bar. Click the ‘Add to Cart’ button for the ‘Self-Paced’ class. This site does not accept payments – you will not be charged here. Create a Username and Password. Once you pay and add your class at the classroom site, you will be verified to access your class after 5PM on Wednesday. You must make an 80 or higher on the final exam (online) to successfully complete the course. You may only take the exam once.
If you have questions about this course, please contact the online coordinator at 470-578-6693 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Financial Aid Options
- No options available at this moment.
- Click here for more information about Financial Aid
- Delivery Online
- Total Hours 24
- Class Sessions 0
- CEUs 2.4
- Fee $149
No extra information available at this moment.