Technical Writing Fundamentals – Online (Self Paced)
Do you have a knack for explaining complex subjects in a way that makes them easy to understand? If so, you should consider entering the well-paying field of technical writing. Technical Writing Fundamentals will teach you the skills you need to succeed as a technical writer. You will learn how to translate complex information into easily understood language and how to become a wizard at marrying the art of publishing with the science of technology. You’ll learn the secrets of successful technical writers, including technical writing conventions, interviewing skills, desktop publishing and formatting techniques, key tips for developing graphics and templates, documentation management, and how to publish documents both on paper and electronically. You’ll also learn how to get your first job as a technical writer, plus “tricks of the trade” that enable you to create high-quality documentation with less work.
- Learn about the history of technical writing, the kinds of documents you will write, and how to think like a technical writer.
- Learn how to develop a basic project plan, analyze your reading audience, and organize your files.
- Learn about different graphics file formats, how to create screen shots, and how to use Paint.
- Learn how to use Microsoft Word features such as paragraph styles, heading styles and how to generate a table of contents.
- Learn about the printing industry, how to talk with a printer, and future trends in printing.
“This course was very helpful to me. I have been using the tools and have made much better documents. I particularly liked how the instructor organized the content of each lesson. It seemed like each new lesson was built upon the information taught in the preceding lessons. Thank you!”
– G. Hernandez, Kennesaw, GA
For our online course refund policy, click here.
Requirements: Internet access, e-mail, Firefox or Internet Explorer web browser, and Microsoft Word (Versions 2007, 2003, XP, 2000, or 1997 are all acceptable). This course is not suitable for Macintosh users.
You will need to create a login for your online classroom. Go to www.ed2go.com/ksuconed. Find your course by browsing the catalog or using the search bar. Click the ‘Add to Cart’ button for the ‘Self-Paced’ class. This site does not accept payments – you will not be charged here. Create a Username and Password. Once you pay and add your class at the classroom site, you will be verified to access your class after 5PM on Wednesday. You must make an 80 or higher on the final exam (online) to successfully complete the course. You may only take the exam once.
If you have questions about this course, please contact the online coordinator at 470-578-6693 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Financial Aid Options
- No options available at this moment.
- Delivery Online
- Total Hours 24
- Class Sessions 0
- CEUs 2.4
- Fee $159
No extra information available at this moment.