SummerU Behavior Management Guidelines
Because we want SummerU to have the most conducive environment for learning and fun, we ask campers to be attentive to instructors and staff, engage in activities and respect others’ privacy and safety.
The following are examples of unacceptable behavior that may result in automatic dismissal from the camps program.
- Refusing to participate in activities or cooperate with staff
- Using profanity, vulgarity or obscenity
- Stealing or damaging personal or camp property
- Disrupting a program or presentation
- Leaving the group without permission
- Endangering the health and safety of campers and/or staff
- Using illicit drugs, alcohol or tobacco
- Engaging in sexual conduct of any kind
- Teasing, making fun of or bullying of other campers or staff *
- Fighting or physical violence of any kind *
*Physical violence or bullying toward another camper or staff member will result in immediate dismissal from the camp program. Campers who have been documented for habitual behavioral infractions with no positive response to corrective actions and/or intervention, may also be dismissed from the camp program. Camp fees are non-refundable and non-transferrable if a camper is sent home for disciplinary reasons.
When a camper does not follow the behavior guidelines, we will take the following actions as behavior problems progress.
- Camp instructors/assistants will redirect the camper to more appropriate behavior.
- If inappropriate behavior continues, the camper will be reminded of behavior guidelines and will be asked by the Program Manager to commit to correcting their behavior.
- If a camper does not meet the expectations to correct inappropriate behavior, he/she will be referred back to the Program Manager and a parent or guardian will be notified.
- If inappropriate behavior continues after the programming staff has intervened, as a final step the camper will be dismissed from camp.
At Summer University, bullying is inexcusable and we have a firm policy against all types of bullying. Each camper is expected to treat all other campers with respect and to help each other achieve the best camp experience possible. When instances of bullying are made aware to our staff, we will address them seriously.
Computer Usage Policy
Some SummerU camps involve computer usage. These computers have internet access, with parental control software installed to help block access to websites that may be deemed inappropriate. Although we strive to preserve the learning environment of the classroom and to safeguard the campers from inappropriate websites and chatrooms; parental control software does not absolutely prevent the permeation of inappropriate websites or pop-up advertisement windows. We encourage parents and guardians to discuss with your camper, what is appropriate and inappropriate internet use.